Growing up after the 1979 Iranian Revolution and during the dark ages of the Iran-Iraq war had a huge impact on Labkhand Olfatmanesh. As a result, the teenaged Labkhand turned to art as a refuge to express her feelings and frustrations. She carried this talent into university, studying Graphic design and telling intimate stories through close-ups in what would eventually become a series of photo essays. However, her approach to photography was not favored among her classically trained teachers, so they pushed Labkhand's obvious talent into a more traditional direction, encouraging her to become a photojournalist. Once Labkhand completed art school, she began to follow her passion again, expressing her deepest, most personal, womanly emotions through her photo essays and expanding her talent with the creation of unique masks and installation result of solo shows and several group shows.
Labkhand Olfatmanesh’s work has been exhibited in several solo and group exhibitions, including Photo London, UK; Rencontres d’Arles, France; the Ataturk Culture, Nicosia, Cyprus; and the Craft Contemporary, Los Angeles.
She is the recipient of several Honorable Mention awards, including the International Photo Award (Lucie Foundation) and the Tokyo International Foto Award.
She was also awarded the LensCulture Portrait Awards Jurors’ Pick and received first place at the Los Angeles Center of Photography’s second annual fine art photo competition.
She worked with The United Nations, the Australian High Commission in Cyprus, the British council in Nicosia, Cyprus and the Mexican embassy in collaboration with the Iranian municipality in Tehran, Iran.
Labkhand lives and works in Los Angeles.
22. (2019) Finalist of festfoto Brazil Modern art museum at Porto Alegre Fundação Iberê Camargo
21. (2019) Italy (Ibrida festival)-Vertov project Video Art
20. (2019) LOS ANGELES — Craft Contemporary (CAFAM) and Farhang Foundation presents Focus Iran 3: Contemporary Photography and Video,
19. (2018) Punch project Juried exhibition and 2018 Barnstorm/ Juror ( Ginger Ewing) Ellensburg/Washington.
18. (2018) Recontres d'Arles, annual summer photography festival
17. (2018) Exhibition Los Angels center of photography Annual fine art photography.
Los Angeles /CA
16. (2018 ) Exhibition Photo London /Lens Culture Portrait award -Somerset House
15. (2018 )Group exhibition in Tokyo on at the ICA Gallery in Tokyo (Tifa Silver awards winners )
14. (2018) Through Pro'jekt LA, MOPLA's very own projection series, photography will be projected on walls and outdoor spaces in Los Angeles.
Los Angeles/ CA
13. (2017) Mifa Winner Exibition Photo Center Gogolevsky
12. (2017) Focus Iran 2: Contemporary photography and Video at
UC Irvine, CA
11.(2017) LOS ANGELES — The Craft & Folk Art Museum (CAFAM) and Farhang Foundation presents Focus Iran 2: Contemporary Photography and Video
10.(2006) Group exhibition Beirut Center of photography Beirut/Lebanon
9. (2004 ) Group exhibition in The Ataturk Culture Center Nicosia,Cyprus
8. (2003) Group Exhibition private show Curator Afshin Pirhashemi Tehran/ Iran
7. (2001) Group annual drawing exhibition The BARG Art Gallery Tehran/Iran
6.( 2001) Solo exhibition mixmedia and Installation in The Barg art gallery Tehran/Iran
5. (1999) Second Annual World Contemporary in L.A California USA
4. (1999) Group modern art exhibition in The Mansoure Husseini Art gallery Tehran/Iran
3. (1999) Group exhibition in The Embassy of Mexico Tehran/Iran
2. (1999) Solo exhibition Mix Media in The BARG art Gallery Tehran/Iran
1. (1996) Group illustrations exhibition in The Keyhan Gallery Tehran/ Iran.
13. (2018) Second prize winner Focus Iran3: Photography and Video, an exhibition in collaboration with the Craft & Folks Art Museum and Farhang foundation ( Video art collaboration with Gazele Samizay)
12.( 2018)Top Prizewinner for “Expanding Boundaries” Third Annual “Fine Art” exhibition Los Angeles Center of Photography. I am honored to have Scott B. Davis from San Diego, CA, as this year’s juror.
11. (2018)Selected finalist and The Jurors' Picks of the LensCulture Portrait Awards 2018 Special selection by Rebecca Morse Curator Wallis Annenberg Photography Department, LACMA, received grant award.
10.(2018) Shortlisted for the Athen Photo Festival 2018/ Benaki Museum
9.(2018) Honorable Mention in the INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARD / FINE ART (Baby-Maybe)
8. (2018)I awarded a winning placement (silver award) in the Tokyo International Foto Awards, portrait category (Metaphysical Resistant).
7. (2017) Selected artist for 2 annual juried photographic contest at the Artcore Brewery annex, Los Angeles, CA
6. (2017) Honorable Mention in the INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARD (Fineart & Portrait)
5. (2017) Honorable Mention in the PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE PARIS
4. (2017) Honorable Mention in the Moscow photo Awards ( Fine art-Portrait)
3. (2016)Jury finalist of Focus Iran2: Photography and Video, an exhibition in collaboration with the Craft & Folks Art Museum and Farhang foundation The international jury panel consisted of photo L.A. executive director Claudia James Bartlett, French-Iranian photojournalist Reza Deghati, also known as REZA, CAFAM exhibitions curator Holly Jerger, the J. Paul Getty Museum assistant curator of photography Arpad Kovacs, American photographer Steve McCurry.
2. (2016) Honorable Mention in the 1St TIFA Award Tokyo, Japan
1. (2006)Second place photo contest Second prize from International Society of Photographers Award winner for photo published in as Vegas, Nevada (jurors and speakers Bob Gruen and Steven McCurry)
Projects and Article
.(2018) Maiden LA is a rich, county-wide canvas of art events. Taking place in galleries, alternative spaces, and throughout the city itself, the vast panoply of art events is as inclusive as it is eclectic. There are poetry readings, art workshops, glass blowing, films, photographs, performance art.
Art performance and street photography/ Video.
. (2005) Photography for 52 min Documentary by Adam Sabire filmmaker From Australia, Echoes across the divide Sponsored by SBS Orchestra, United Nation and High commission in Cyprus.
.(2007) United Nations HQ, New York - world première screening in the Dag Hammarskjöld Auditorium.
.(2005) Long Distance Call, Bi communal and peace project by Merlijn Twaalfhoven from Nederland Sponsored by UN and Australian high commission in Cyprus.